Anna Faris and Eugenio Derbez in “Overboard.” Photo Credit: Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures / Pantelion Films
Eugenio Derbez, seen last year opposite Salma Hayek in How To Be A Latin Lover, takes on the daunting task of remaking the Kurt Russell/Goldie Hawn comedy Overboard. The original featured the innate chemistry between the longtime couple, but Derbez and co-star Anna Faris are both topline comedic talents, so the prospects are good for this remake.
Overboard was also a personal venture for Derbez, who admits that he was a fan of Hawn as a youth. Though Derbez is an international star, that doesn’t mean he gets a bit nervous when he sees people he admires in public. Although he was remaking Overboard, bumping into Goldie Hawn at the local Starbucks wasn’t exactly a meet and greet affair. Click on the media bar to hear Derbez explain why he didn’t approach Hawn and tell her about his Overboard plans (Faris is also heard in the clip)!
Overboard, co-starring Eva Longoria, opens nationwide May 4.
The Hitman’s Bodyguard features Samuel L. Jackson as Darius, a hitman who has suddenly become a huge target. Ryan Reynolds is Michael, the bodyguard who’s assigned to protect Darius, withSalma Hayekplaying Darius’ unpredictable wife.
Hayek, seen earlier this year in How To Be A Latin Lover, enjoyed her experience with Jackson as well as getting the chance to play Sonia.
“I love Sam,” said Hayek, who showed off her acting chops with the 2014 feature Everly. “I’ve been a fan for many, many years and he’s a legend. “I am very excited to get a chance to work with him and it’s been so easy and so fabulous to his wife – his crazy wife. She’s very unpredictable and very volatile, and even though he’s dangerous, he’s very solid. (With Sonia), you never know what’s going to come out of that mouth or what she’s going to say and I think that’s what makes her memorable.”
Click on the media bar below to hear Hayek explain why Sonia, at least when it comes to vulgarity, is the dirtiest character she’s played:
The Hitman’s Bodyguard opens nationwide August 18.
How To Be A Latin Lover, a disarming comedy headlined by Eugenio Derbez andSalma Hayek, hits Blu-ray August 15 via Lionsgate Home Entertainment. The narrative centers on Maximo (Derbez), an aging Latin lover who’s dumped his his much older (and richer) woman and is now left to fend for himself. After moving in with his estranged sister Sara (Hayek) and her 10-year-old son Hugo (Raphael Alejandro), Maximo slowly gets his life back on track. His gigolo lifestyle, however, beckons him back for more seduction as he sets his sights on another woman (Raquel Welch).
Click on the media bar below to hear Salma Hayek talk about why How To Be A Latin Lover was a memorable shooting experience:
Special features on both versions include over 30 minutes of deleted and extend scenes, two featurettes (“Show Me Your Sexy! Learning How To Be A Latin Lover” and “A Little Help From My Friends”), and audio commentary with director Ken Marino, producer Ben Odell, and editor John Daigle.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 easily beat out newcomers Snatched and King Arthur: Legend of the Swordto take the #1 slot at this weekend’s box office. The picture made $63 million, with #2 finisher Snatched collecting $17.5 million. The $175 million budgeted King Arthur: Legend of the Sword bombed at the box office with $14.7 million. Here’s this weekend’s top 1o:
1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 – It makes $63 million this weekend and has a total domestic gross of over $246 million.
2. Snatched – Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn film makes $17.5 million.
3. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword – $14.7 million
4. The Fate of the Furious – To date the movie has made over $1.1 billion worldwide. It collected $5.3 million over the weekend.
5. The Boss Baby – $4.6 million
6. Beauty and the Beast – It’s the #1 grossing film film of the year with a worldwide take of $1.2 billion. Domestically, it takes in $3.8 million this weekend.
7. How to be a Latin Lover – The picture, starring Salma Hayek and Raquel Welch, collects $3.7 million.
As expected, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 was the #1 film domestically as it pulled in over $145 million. Considering director James Gunn is set to make another Guardians movie, the franchise is in a highly healthy state! Coming in a distant second was The Fate of the Furious with $8.53 million. Here’s this weekend’s box office top 10:
1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 – $145 million
2. The Fate of the Furious – $8.53 million
3. The Boss Baby – Animated film has been a huge hit for Fox as it’s taken in over $434 million worldwide. This weekend it makes $6.17 million stateside.
4. How To Be A Latin Lover – Eugenio Derbez and Salma Hayek film makes $5.3 million in its second weekend.
5. Beauty and the Beast – $4.9 million
6. The Circle –Tom Hanks and Emma Watson drama takes in $4 million. The project has made $20 million domestically which, considering its $18 million budget, is not a bad haul.
7. Baahubali 2: The Conclusion – $3.2 million
8. Gifted – $2 million
9. Going in Style – Comedy, directed by Zach Braff, has made over $70 million worldwide (picture’s budget is $25 million). This weekend, it collects $1.9 million.