The creative team behind So You Think You Can Dancehit a home run this season with the addition of Jason Derulo, an artist who is enjoying the monumental success of his latest album Everything Is 4. Although Derulo, whoshowed off his own dancing and singing skills with his recent SYTYCDperformance of “Cheyenne,” is passionate about dancing, that skill is just part of his overall tool kit.
“I never really wanted to just be a dancer,” says Derulo, who has sold over 45 million records worldwide. “What I wanted to be was the consummate performer. I wanted to have total control of my body and the way that it moves. So to do that you have to be versed in a lot of different styles so you can have total control and understand how the body works.”
Click on the media bar below to hear Jason Derulo explain why So You Think You Can Danceis getting “more fierce” with each season.
So You Think You Can Danceairs Monday at 8/7c on FOX.
Airing tonight on Fox, the hit competition series SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE celebrates its 200th episode with a two-hour performance show featuring guest judge JASON DeRULIO. An accomplished dancer as well as a smooth vocalist, DeRULIO will perform his latest single, WIGGLE, featuring SNOOP DOG in addition to sharing the panel with series regulars MARY MURPHY and NIGEL LYTHGOE.
A former professional dancer before branching out to television production, LYTHGOE is one of the people behind such shows as SYTYCD and AMERICAN IDOL. We’ve spoken with LYTHGOE several times over the years and, during our most recent interview, he talked about the genesis of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE and its subsequent success.
Despite the announcement by Fox-TV honcho KEVIN REILLY that pop-diva MARIAH CAREY has signed on the dotted line to replace JENNIFER LOPEZ as a judge on the popular reality series AMERICAN IDOL, producer NIGEL LYTHGOE doesn’t seem entirely convinced that J-LO is ready to hit the streets. Announcing her departure from the show, LOPEZ said that she was “99%” sure she’d be leaving and, during our interview a couple of days ago at the Television Critics Association press event, LYTHGOE admitted that he sees that remaining 1% as an open window to contract negotiation.
Hot on the heels of yesterday’s confirmation by Fox-TV honcho KEVIN REILLY that the rumors about pop-star MARIAH CAREY joining the ever-evolving cast of judges on the hit talent competition show AMERICAN IDOL are true and she’ll be stepping in for the upcoming twelfth season , we sat down with series producer NIGEL LYTHGOE to talk about this latest development. The object of constant internet speculation and rumor, AMERICAN IDOL seems to always be in the news and LYTHGOE tells us that he’d like to see behind-the-scenes negotiations kept just that…behind-the-scenes.
Season twelve of AMERICAN IDOL is slated to air mid-season during 2012-2013 TV season
“It’s amazing,” Napoleon acknowledges. “As choreographers and even as dancers we were always in the background. There is so much that a choreographer does – we’re on American Idol every week as well, but you would never know because it’s always behind the scenes. There are so many jobs like that that choreographers do that are behind the scenes that nobody realizes – you know, that there is somebody there making people do what they do.”
“Or move the way that they do,” Tabitha interjects. “Even basic staging for actors in films, it doesn’t always have to break out into a big production number.”
“It’s the choreographer that does the staging,” Napoleon concludes. “For us to be able to show the art in a dance form has been tremendous and it’s been amazing for our dance community.”
Of course it was Nigel Lythgoe who brought the D’Umos into Idol when he returned as Executive Producer. Now Lythgoe wears the EP hat for both reality competition shows.
“There have been choreographers on there every season,” Napoleon points out about American Idol. “But, when Nigel did come back he was the one who had us come in. Another choreographer from the So You Think You Can Dance family, (choreographer) Mandy Moore was hired for that too.”
“We just came on board this season to do some of the episodes and it’s so much fun,” Tabitha insists. “Their main skill set is singing. Dancing to them is not comfortable…it’s not natural at all, so to help them feel coordinated and to give them easy blocking…it’s simple movements, but to see when they feel confident and they pull it off is really rewarding.”
The top eight contenders on American Idol face off again tonight and Thursday, 8:00 p.m. ET/PT on FOX.