Animation is a genre that seemingly expands on a year to year basis, and its ability to push creative boundaries while also appealing to a universal audience continues to impress. The roots of animation originate from such classics as Bambi, and in celebration of its 75th year it heads to Blu-ray, DVD and On-Demand June 6 (it hits Digital HD and Disney Movies Anywhere on May 23). The classic film will join Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Beauty and the Beast and Pinocchio as part of the Walt Disney Signature Collection.
Taking over five years to make mainly due to its exquisite hand-drawn artwork, Bambi is #3 on the American Film Institute’s top 10 greatest animated films of all time. Special features on the Blu-ray and Digital HD edition include:
1. The Bambi Effect – A featurette on how the innovations behind Bambi shaped future generations of filmmakers.
2. Studio Stories: Bambi – Recordings of Walt Disney reflecting on the production of the film.
3. Deleted Scenes: Two scenes titled “Bambi’s Ice” and “Snow and The Grasshopper.”
4. Bambi Fawn Facts – Real life facts on animals. Great for kids to learn a few facts about the animal kingdom (or for adults who are not in the know!).
5. Oswald The Lucky Rabbit: Africa Before Dark – An Oswald Short.
6. Digital Exclusive – Celebrating Tyrus Wong (Digital HD Exclusive) – A look at the celebrated painter who played an integral role in the creative direction of Bambi.
The Signature Collection disc also comes with special features from previous Bambi disc releases including more deleted scenes and the original theatrical trailer. Is Bambi one of your all-time favorite animated films? Feel free to comment below!