Disney’s pairing of Pirates of the Caribbean team Gore Verbinski and Johnny Depp is a resounding failure, as The Lone Ranger had a horrible July 4th weekend. Even though it came in second, the film turned in just $29.4 million (Friday-Sunday figures), well behind Despicable Me 2’s solid $82.5 million outing. In sum, The Lone Ranger has made just $48.9 million domestically, a horrible showing considering its $215 million budget.
Coming in third was the Sandra Bullock/Melissa McCarthy comedy The Heat, which did decent business with $25 million. In two weeks of release, the project has grossed over $86 million. Here’s this weekend’s top 10:
1. Despicable Me 2 – $82.5 million.
2. The Lone Ranger – Will director Gore Verbinski rebound from this turkey? $29.4 million
3. The Heat – Bridesmaid filmmaker Paul Feig is on a role with his go-to star Melissa McCarthy.
4. Monsters University – Prequels make $$, as evidenced by Monster U’s $19.5 million weekend.
5. World War Z – A bonafide Brad Pitt hit. Worldwide: $366 million. This weekend: $18.2 million.
6. White House Down – Channing Tatum/Jamie Foxx team up was another summer misfire. $13.5 million.
7. Man of Steel – Love it or hate it, Superman continues to roll in the dough. $11.4 million this weekend.
8. Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain – $10.1 million for a concert movie? Not bad at all.
9. This is the End – Seth Rogen’s new film proves he and Evan Goldberg are capable directors. $5.8 million.
10. Now You See Me – This movie quietly is one of this summer’s biggest hits. This weekend, it made $2.7 million.
*** In the following clip, Despicable Me 2 composer Pharrell Williams explains the “super colorful” music style behind the film:
Find Us On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com
Follow Us On Twitter: @Hollyoutbreak