Monsters University reigned supreme once again, as the prequel took in $46.18 million to beat the new comedy The Heat, which also did great business with $40 million.
Although The Heat stars Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy proved to be a bankable twosome this weekend, Jamie Foxx and Channing Tatum couldn’t save the $150 million budget action flick White House Down from limping into fourth place with just $25.7 million. The picture was even beaten by Brad Pitt’s zombie foray World War Z, which made $29.8 million.
Here’s this weekend’s top 10:
1. Monsters University – $46.1 million. Domestic gross to date: $171 million and counting.
2. The Heat – A $40 million weekend is a strong debut for this comedy.
3. World War Z – $29.8 million this weekend and a worldwide gross to date of $259 million.
4. White House Down – A total misfire with a horrible $25.7 million debut.
5. Man of Steel – $20.8 million.
6. This is the End – Seth Rogen and friends continue to do business with $8.7 million.
7. Now You See Me – The surprise hit of the summer makes $5.5 million. To date, it’s made over
$104 million in domestic markets.
8. Fast & Furious 6 – $2.4 million.
9. Star Trek Into Darkness – $2.04 million.
10. The Internship – Wedding Crashers team Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson don’t
strike box office gold with this comedy. Over the weekend, it turned in just $1.425 million.
Find Us On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com
Follow Us On Twitter: @Hollyoutbreak