Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters took out the box office competition to debut at the #1 spot. Starring Gemma Arterton and Jeremy Renner, the adventure flick grossed $19 million, easily besting second place finisher Mama ($12.8 million). Budgeted at $21 million, the acclaimed Silver Linings Playbook took in $10 million for third place and an overall domestic take of $69.5 million. The Jason Statham feature Parker had a miserable weekend opening, taking in just $7 million and sputtering to fifth place, with the comedy misfire Movie 43 laying an egg with $5 million and a weak seventh place result.
Here is this weekend’s top 10:
1. Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters – $19 million. To hear Gemma Arterton talk about playing Gretel, click on the media bar below:
2. Mama – The Jessica Chastain horror flick has another solid showing in its second weekend. $12.8 million
3. Silver Linings Playbook – $10 million
4. Zero Dark Thirty – $9.8 million. Domestic totals: $69.9 million.
5. Parker – With another disappointing weekend opening, the jury’s out on Jason Statham’s continued box office potential. $7 million
6. Django Unchained – Quentin Tarantino’s latest has made over $146 million domestically. This weekend, it made $5 million.
7. Movie 43 – An A-list cast (including Kate Winslet and Emma Stone) couldn’t save the $5 million result. Although budgeted at just $6 million, the comedy struck out over the weekend.
8. Gangster Squad – With a $60 million budget, this wannabe Los Angeles film noir is a turkey, as it made just $4.2 million and has a domestic grand total of $39.65 to date.
9. Broken City – The Mark Wahlberg/Russell Crowe thriller made $4 million and is one of January’s box office disappointments.
10. Les Miserables – $3.9 million and Oscar odds are on Anne Hathaway to win for Best Supporting Actress.
Find Us On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com
Follow Us On Twitter: @Hollyoutbreak