Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, and producer Steven Spielberg couldn’t save a lackluster opening performance from Cowboys & Aliens, which tied The Smurfs for the top spot, taking in $36.2 million (final figures will be released Monday). It’s a huge disappointment for the $163 million budgeted Sci-Fi/Western, especially since director Jon Favreau’s last two efforts (the Iron Man films) were blockbuster hits.
For Cowboys & Aliens to turn a decent profit, the picture must perform well overseas. Here’s the top 10:
1. Cowboys & Aliens – $36.2 million
1. (tie) The Smurfs – $36.2 million
3. Captain America: The First Avenger – Since its release over two weeks ago, the picture has collected $116.8 million domestically. This weekend, it took in $24.9 million
4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 – With its $21.9 million haul, the film has made over $$318.5 million domestically, making it the strongest box-office outing of the franchise.
5. Crazy, Stupid, Love – A fifth place debut for this Steve Carell comedy is a tad disappointing, but great critical reception may draw a stable rate of viewers in the coming weeks. Plus the movie only cost an estimated $45 million. This weekend, it made $19.3 million.
6. Friends With Benefits – $9.3 million
7. Horrible Bosses – $7.1 million
8. Transformers: Dark of the Moon – $6 million
9. Zookeeper – $4.2 million
10. Cars 2 – $2.3 million
Click on the media bar below to hear Harrison Ford talk about his character in Cowboys & Aliens.
Find Us On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com
Follow Us On Twitter: http://twitter.com/hollyoutbreak