The money train known as Despicable Me 2 continues its torrid pace, as the film retained the #1 box office slot to make $44.7 million this weekend. Adam Sandler and his buddies also scored another hit with Grown Ups 2, as the comedy debuted at the #2 spot with $42.5 million.
Even with all the hype and expectation, Pacific Rim finished third with a respectable $38.3 million. The problem is the film cost $190 million, and the real question is if the film will turn a decent profit for Warner Bros.
Here’s this weekend’s top 10:
1. Despicable Me 2 - $44.7 million this weekend, and $229 million domestic.
2. Grown Ups 2 -This is an Adam Sandler franchise with just the right mix. $42.5 million.
3. Pacific Rim - Guillermo del Toro movie slightly disappoints with just $38.3 million.
4. The Heat - $14 million this weekend, but $112 million domestically.
5. The Lone Ranger - $11.1 million. This summer’s biggest turkey.
6. Monster’s University - $10.6 million with $237 million in domestic business to date.
7. World War Z - Brad Pitt’s biggest money maker in years takes in $9.4 million.
8. White House Down - A big let down and box office bomb. This weekend, it collected just $6.15 million.
9. Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain - $5 million for a stand up film isn’t bad at all.
10. Man of Steel - At least Warner Bros. has Superman to bail them out! $4.825 million.
In the following media clip, Steve Carell (the voice of Despicable Me 2’s Gru), explains why he never envisioned himself as a comedic actor:
Find Us On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com
Follow Us On Twitter: @Hollyoutbreak